:: Search This Blog ::

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How it all began... Rushed.


On a day off from being a banker, my husband convinces me that it would be great to have a 'take your wife to work day.' His family was considering expanding their business into Nor Cal, and all needed to see if I could hack it in the dried fruit, nuts, and trail mix industry. I agreed to ride along for the day. In and out of stores, lifting boxes, filling nut bins, learning the ropes. A little tired, but all in all, no biggie. We got back to the office that afternoon, and I was told to put in my two weeks notice. Just like that, I am capable of lifting 25 lb. boxes and filling nut bins, so bye bye banking, here we come Nor Cal.

Original EDT (Estimated Departure Time) was early Sunday morning. I would be mobbing the civic down to Nor Cal, while Aaron would be driving the not so speedy work truck. After packing and organizing the house all day Saturday, Aaron decides that we should just start driving. Little did I know, this was going to be an indication of how things were going to be from then on out. Needless to say, right then, we began our decent to Northern California.

I paced myself with Aaron up all the hills, like a good driving companion would do, but then, being my ever so patient self, I decided that waiting for Aaron to make it up each and every hill between Puyallup and mid-Oregon just wasn't all that much fun. Instead of pacing myself with him, I entertained myself by 'meeting' other drivers... And then passing them :) I just let my mind go, and drove. After a couple of hours, and communications by cell phone, we decided that we should call it a night. We selected a city that we would stay in, and decided to meet there. Anyone that knows me, also knows that I hate showing up at a hotel without a reservation. And, because I decided to be Ms. Speedracer, I arrived at the city, while Aaron was still 30 minutes out. Wow. Patience is a virtue that I clearly lack at times, but there I was, waiting in the Taco Bell parking lot. Why? Not because I was hungry, but because there was no reservation. I hate confrontation, and therefore I lack negotiating skills when it comes to bargaining a good price at these second rate hotels. I am a planner, and when things are not planned out, I experience mild anxieties. But really, I'm a grown up, so when we get right down to it, I was sitting in the Taco Bell parking lot, because I am at times, a bratty five year old stuck in a 25 year old body.

Needless to say, Aaron made it, and we proceeded to sneak our little Westie, Sugar, into the Shiloh Inn...

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog...what a good idea and practice for your writing...you should email folks who do not get FB, like Unc Bob, and give them the link so that they can follow you too...can't wait for the next excerpt...

    ReplyDelete