:: Search This Blog ::

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

All Nighter Co-Pilot


The responsibility of a co-pilot, is to assist the captain by monitoring the flight instruments, handling radio communications, watching for air traffic, and taking over the flight controls when directed by the captain. In car terminology, the responsibility of the co-pilot is to assist the captain by keeping an eye on his personal energy level, handle incoming calls/Facebook updates/text messages/emails etc., watch for speed traps, and taking over the wheel when the captain gets too drowsy. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but after making it from Pleasanton, CA to Puyallup, WA in 12.5 hours without incident, I would have to say that I am a master co-pilot.

To make the most of our time, Aaron and I decided to head back home right after we got off work on Thursday. As it so happened, 'after work' was a little later that Thursday, for the simple fact that we had an agenda. It's funny how it always seems to happen that way. The game plan was that Aaron would start our journey, I would take a brief nap once it got dark out, and then I would complete the drive once Aaron got drowsy. After a few energy drinks, stopping to get gas where it was freezing cold out, and grabbing a bite to eat at a drive-thru, Aaron was wide awake. I'm a firm believer that the minute you start to get bored while driving and zone out, is the minute you start to become very drowsy; no matter how many high fructose corn syrup energy drinks you have. And, being as that I took my job as Aaron's co-pilot very seriously, I decided we would play a little game I call 'Car-Oke'. We played 'Name That Tune' for a little while, but I can never remember who sings what, so instead I would find a song on the ipod and start singing. Before I knew it, I could have sworn that Taylor Swift was in the car with me! But when I looked over, it was someone that looked an awful lot like my husband rocking out in full falsetto to one of my favorite Taylor Swift songs!

Taylor has not graced our presence anytime recently, but I am hoping that she will make a reappearance on our next road trip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment