:: Search This Blog ::

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tune in!


I remember riding with my parents over to Ocean Shores for the weekend when I was younger; I always knew when we were getting close, because the radio station would become all static. When that happened they would pop in my cassette tape of Ritchie Valens, and we would sing "La Bamba." Three non-Spanish speaking Americans rocking out to "La Bamba," now that's comical.

Nowadays, when the radio station turns to static, I either press seek, pop in a CD, or hook up my ipod. The ipod is convenient, because I know that I am going to hear a selection that I previously chose for myself, and will most likely enjoy. Because my job in California entailed hours of driving from location to location, I would sometimes opt for the more fun method of music selection, which is pressing the seek button.

A lot of the radio stations in Cali are the same as in Washington, just a few clicks of the dial away from each other. When I didn't feel like seeking, this was very nice, because I at least knew the genre to expect. However, I loved when I would press seek, and land on an oldie that would bring back fun memories of my mom driving my sis and I around, belting out lyrics I was never corrected on.

Pressing the seek button in California is like roulette. Some days the radio stations would be playing awesome songs, and other times it would stop on a song I loved the beat of, but would soon realize the lyrics were in Spanish. The awesome thing now is, after taking three years of Spanish in high school, I can at least catch a few phrases!

No comments:

Post a Comment