:: Search This Blog ::

Sunday, January 17, 2010

What's in a name?


A lot of people grow up with nicknames. Usually the name is a shorter version of their birth given name, but in some cases it is a name based on their personality. I was never a nickname kind of person growing up. My mom called me "Scoot", "Scooter", or "Tara Beara", but for the most part nothing really stuck. After four hours of sleep, followed by a 16 hour work day, followed by interrupted sleep, I guess my creative juices were flowing.

After J and I were done working the Sacramento area the second day, we were called to attend a staff meeting at the local Chevy's. We were running a little behind from the couple of stores that we had hit that morning, and when we arrived, everyone else was waiting for us. The conversations naturally went towards sales, and who was going to be the top sales rep that quarter.

Aaron had been the top sales rep in Washington for three consecutive quarters before we went down to California. As part of his recognition, they gave him a Superman action figure to put in his truck. This got me thinking. Our most expensive product that we brought into stores, until pine nuts were introduced that is, was pecans. So, I told the boys that they weren't in my league, they were merely "Cashew Cowboys," but I was the "Pecan Princess," and when I sold the most product by the end of the quarter, I didn't want a Superman figurine, I wanted a crown.

When you are working a position in life that isn't necessarily your dream career or job, you have to find ways to own it, and make it fun. And thus, the "Pecan Princess" was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment