:: Search This Blog ::

Monday, January 4, 2010

Everything is scarier in the dark!


When I was eighteen and drove down to SoCal with my friend Meagan, Dad armed me with some pretty serious pepper spray, while Mom armed me with a AAA membership. As you go through life, the importances of some things stick with you, while others simply do not.

After being in the NorCal region for a little over a month, we had four established drivers with routes, and two independent distributors (one being in Hawaii). A fifth route driver had just been brought on to cover the Sacramento/Reno/Lake Tahoe area, and Aaron was responsible for getting him trained. Sacramento was a little over two hours away from our hometel in Dublin, and Reno/Lake Tahoe was approximately 5 hours from there. Needless to say, Aaron would not be returning to our crazy hometel for a couple of days. I solicited for someone to come and stay with me, but had no takers. With no pepper spray, no AAA membership, and no one staying with me, I had to rely on my trusty guard dog. Right.

Aaron left at 1:00am to head to Sacramento and begin training. He would usually have taken Sugar out to do her thing before we left for work, but that responsibility now fell on me. If we were in Washington, I would simply open the back door, tell her to go potty, and when I saw her back at the door, I would let her in. They have pretty serious leash laws in California, and we were on the second floor, so there I am at 4:00am with Sugar leashed up, doing her thing. Until something scared her and she started bolting for the hotel door. Up until that point, I was feeling pretty secure. I have never seen Sugar act that way. No barking, just sprinting for the door. At this point I was a little scared.

I put Sugar back in the room and headed down to our car. I practically jogged to the car and hopped in. I continued the rest of my day a little jumpy, hoping I wouldn't freak myself out when it was night time again. Because everything is a little scarier when it is dark outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment