:: Search This Blog ::

Thursday, December 31, 2009

No ID? No Problem!


I started flying as an unaccompanied minor when I was seven or eight years old. Back then, your friends and family members could walk back to your gate with you, I didn't need a state or government issued ID, and suitcases always flew free. Post 9/11, so much of that has changed in order to keep us safe... Or so I thought.

After "Walker Family Thanksgiving," we rushed home to pick up Sugar and wait for our ride to the airport. Everything was going well. The bags were pre-packed from earlier in the day, and we had a little extra time to get through security.

The wonderful thing about traveling these days, is that you can check yourself in online, and if you don't have time to do that, you can still just as easily use a kiosk at the airport. Having Sugar with us made the process a little more lengthy, because although we had a confirmation number for her, you can't check a dog in at the kiosk. When we were ready to give the travel agent our confirmation numbers and show our identification, I noticed that something very important was missing from my wallet. Yep, my driver's license. I couldn't believe it. In all the years that I have traveled, I couldn't remember a single instance that I had left my ID behind. I didn't even have time to work up a minor anxiety attack before the travel agent assured me that it would be okay, and that I would have to do some additional screening, but I could still get on the flight. Unlike some travelers who get all huffy and puffy about this additional screening, I honestly don't care. Just because I look all sweet and innocent, doesn't mean I'm not bomb making savvy with a stone cold heart. Plus, with my ID being absent, I would hope they would do a little something extra.

As I mentally prepared myself for this additional screening, we approached the desk where they verify your ID with the name on your boarding pass. I explained to the gentleman that I did not have my ID, and understood that I would need to go through some additional screening. He asked if I was traveling alone, and I told him that I was traveling with my husband. Once he verified that we had the same last name, we were good to go. No pat down, no going through my carry-on, no scanning Sugar for drugs. A matching last name, that was my additional screening. Hello people! Do you know how many Tara Walkers there are in the world!?!

Needless to say, I was happy to not miss my flight out. But, although I know next to nothing about explosives, I am a little disappointed that the airport security didn't take a few more precautions.

No comments:

Post a Comment