:: Search This Blog ::

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Popping the Safety Bubble...


I remember when I was five years old, my mom and I would go to our local Safeway, and I would always hide behind her when the checker would try and chat with me. As I got older, I just remained quiet when meeting new people and was thought of as snobby. Being in California has forced me to pop my comfort bubble. I have been put in many situations where being quiet will get me no where, and giggling to break the uncomfortable tension would only get me so far.

One thing that is slightly out of my comfort zone is meeting new people, unless in a business setting. I also don't like to ask for help, and hate playing up being a girl in order to get it. Since being in California, I have met many new people in a business setting, as well as a personal setting, I have definitely had to ask for help, and I have played up being a girl a couple of times to solicit it.

One thing I think most people hate to ask for is directions. When you are already at a location and your navigation decides to stop working, and you have no idea how to get back to the freeway, do you really have any other choice? Getting directions from a local combines two things that definitely press my bubble. Meeting a new person, and asking for help. Pop! After asking locals for directions multiple times, getting suggestions on decent places to eat, and living in public housing, my bubble popped.

I have a new bubble now. It is much larger than the previous, and a little more flexible from all the experiences that I have had in California. I am thankful for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment